2004/05/27

Frontierishness

Maybe I wasn't thinking of the frontier thesis after all, but I might've been. I was flipping through my journal today, and noticed the first spot besides downtown K-W that I thought it might've applied to: the Tepotzlán social activists who were the only ones in Latin America to successfully prevent a golf course from moving into their neighbourhood. After the battle, though, she had told us, the unity of the city's people waned due to the lack of a common enemy, despite the fact that during the battle, their tactics had been "80% fiesta, 20% politics," with many a spontaneous city-wide celebration to keep spirits up and united.

I'm not sure which direction I'll be heading in for the GS310 research paper--I guess I'm right on schedule, then. It might be nice if I can somehow combine the two areas I've been exploring so far--real change only coming from the inside and thriving only under pressure--into some coherent and interesting topic to explore, but it's possible I'll do something else entirely.

I'd better look up this Illich fellow's writings too.

No comments: